France |  Suisse |  International
George
problem exporting artlantis file from Archicad!!!!
Sent : 10/05/2009 19:49:04

Hello, I have a problem with archicad export plugin , I cannot export to artlantis. I get the error 'cannot write output file'.I tried to rename all my materials and layers to not have characters like /* etc. but nothing changed. I Have made a complex model in archicad, with many gdl objects I created using the archicad tools and saved them as gdl library parts. For some reason artlantis export plugin dont like these gdl objects and give me error. If I not load my gdl library objects ,the model exports fine, but When I add these objects in the archicad I get error.I tried to load every single object in the library one by one, but all of them produce the same error. Also inside archicad those gdl objects are fine and I am not getting any script gdl errors from them. Please tell me what can I do to export the complete model in artlantis? thanks

Ildikó
Re: problem exporting artlantis file from Archicad!!!!
Sent : 10/06/2009 14:21:53

Hi George, What version of ArchiCAD and Artlantis are you using? Anyway, it seams that Artlantis may have a problem during the conversion process and it's difficult to tell you what could be the reason. I suggest you to open a ticket in the free Support Center and send us one of those GDL library parts you think could cause the problem. Ildiko

Karl
Sent : 10/14/2009 19:48:09

Hi George, Since you know about the special characters, I can tell that you have read the threads in ac-talk and here that concern material and texture names. Some GDL objects create their own materials, so I suspect this is might be the problem. It is very unlikely that it is a geometry problem - unless there are some zero-height 3D objects, which might be an issue. If all of your library parts were created using AC tools, then they would contain the names of materials at the time that they were created - and thus, if you renamed your materials after object creation, that won't help the library parts. You might have to edit them individually to fix the problem. If indeed the model exports fine when none of your objects is loaded, but fails when just one is loaded, please post a zip of one of your objects here, or PM me on ac-talk and I'll look at the object to see if I can see what the problem is. As Ildiko noted, now that Artlantis 3 and ArchiCAD 13 are out, it is important to state what versions of each you are using. Karl

Melby
Sent : 11/23/2009 21:59:44

I have just purchased Artlantis Render 3.0 and am trying to export an Archicad file from Archicad 12 to Artlantis but keep getting the warning message "cannot write output file". do you know what may be causing this error? ANY INFO IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Ildikó
Sent : 11/24/2009 11:37:55

Please try the following: open an empty file in AC 12, create a very small model (only some walls and slabs) and try the export it. Please let us know if it works. Ildiko

Lardizábal
Sent : 05/13/2010 01:35:24

I also had this problem exporting from AC 12 and AC13. I had the problem tring to export in Artlantis 2.0 and 3.0 formats. I found out a workaround: save a copy of your ArchiCAD file project as a .PLA and then try to export it. It works for me every time. Hope it works for you.

Martin
Sent : 09/26/2010 16:31:05

Hi Karl I have problem updating my artlantis file with my archicad file. It simply won't allow me to use a artlantis reference file in archicad when exporting. I don't know if the problem is because I have some zero height objects. How do I check that.? Martin

Bartosz
Sent : 09/28/2010 09:26:12

George, I use ArchiCAD 14 and Artlantis 2 now. From time to time, I get the same message (‘'cannot write output file'). Usually the problem is related to one of three elements (corrupted): library objects, Solid Element Operations or slabs. 1. Library objects – Generally speaking native ArchiCAD models are well done and there’s no problem with them. Additional objects may be not 100% compatible. 2. Solid Element Operations can create unexpected results that are invisible in ArchiCAD but they can be seen in Artlantis (i.e. extra surfaces, vertexes, triangles). I honestly have to say that I don’t remember having this problem in AC 14, but it happened in previous versions for sure. 3. Slabs – usually when I use Magic Wand to create a slab and the shape is complicated this problem occurs. Or with arched slabs. Usually I work in ArchiCAD and every once in a while I export model (not only at the end) also it’s easy to figure what is causing the problem and fix it. If your model is done and you don’t have any idea I would do following steps (to find faulty object). BUT REMEMBER TO WORK ON FILE COPY! 1. I would delete all library elements and try to export once again. If it helped – you have to remove all groups of elements one by one and check the results. 2. If all library objects are fine – I do ‘split in two and export’ method. I delete half of the project and export: if the problem persist obviously the problem is on this side of the project. So we delete half of this half and export again. And so on and on as long as you find where the problem is. The other solution that I can think of is that simply your computer has not enough memory to maintain this operation. My PC can handle over 300Mb ArchiCAD files with only 3GB RAM (creating over 600MB Artlantis file from it). Good luck with it and let us know what the problem was.

Bartek
IGNORE PREVIOUS POST
Sent : 09/28/2010 09:28:19

Sorry, I replied to outdated Georges post. My bad.

Martin
Re: IGNORE PREVIOUS POST
Sent : 09/28/2010 20:01:29

Hello Bartosz I haven't used slabs with magic wand or solid elements in this project. So these two I can exclude. I have uploaded this problem for the support center. And I have uploaded my files to them. But they don't get the same problem as I get, so I am pretty lost. But I will try to delete objects one by one to discover the problem. I will return to you. Martin

Martin
Sent : 09/28/2010 20:06:40

I have tried deleting everything, accept one straight wall. But this doesn't work either.?

Martin
Sent : 09/28/2010 20:47:01

I have tried deleting Artlantis and Archicad and reinstalling the programs again with no luck. I am pretty desperate because I am in the final stage of an project, which haft to be delivered in this week. :-(

Bartek
Sent : 09/29/2010 08:53:37

Martin, Sorry to hear about your problem. Unfortunately, problems have this annoying feature to occur just before the deadline. I work almost exclusively with ArchiCAD (since ArchiCAD 4.16?) and always use Artlantis (I don’t remember the first version I use to work with) to give it final render. As I mentioned before I do trial exports of my model on several stages (not only final one) so it’s easy to spot and fix problem earlier. I know it is not the case now. Let’s try this: 1. Move your model close to absolute zero (0,0,0) – sometimes if model is to far away from the origin it can create a problem. 2. Try to export your model to different format. I remember once I couldn’t use atl file so I used 3ds (it took me a while to find the best settings, units materials etc) but it worked. One more thing – in your first post you wrote “I have problem updating my artlantis file with my archicad file” – what do you meant? Do you have existing Artlantis file and you want to add new elements to it or you just finished your model in archicad and you want to export it to Artlantis? Good luck, and let me know how are you getting?

Kofoed
Sent : 09/29/2010 11:32:09

I will try next time to use trial exports. I will try to move the model to 0,0,0. (I have 3 seperate buildings in the same file, with great distance to each other). I will try to export as 3ds model. When I wrote "I have problem updating my artlantis file with my archicad file". I meant that my original archicad file which was exportet to artlantis, was not possible to be exportet to artlantis again using the reference file. After updated the file in archicad. Could it be a solution to delete files in the artlantis file (objects etc. ) instead of deleting files in archicad.

Bartek
Sent : 09/29/2010 12:47:44

Martin, You wrote that it was not possible to be export to Artlantis using the reference file. Do you know that you can export WITHOUT reference file and use ‘File -> Use reference file…’ after (in Artlantis)? I usually do it this way (instead using reference file already in ArchiCAD) – it is faster and less hustle. Not all materials are 100% accurate (usually library elements), but it works. Regards Bartek

Martin
Sent : 09/29/2010 13:24:37

Yes I know. But this doesn't work either.

Martin
Sent : 09/29/2010 13:25:00

Yes I know. But this doesn't work either.

Martin
Sent : 09/29/2010 13:28:41

Do you know if it may help to delete objects in artlantis, and then try to export from archicad afterwards.?

Bartek
Sent : 09/29/2010 13:58:13

Martin, I am not sure what are you asking about (‘to delete objects in Artlantis, and then try to export from ArchiCAD’). I am assuming that you have a model done in ArchiCAD (3 separate buildings, maybe 3 separate ArchiCAD files) and you want to export them to Artlantis (using reference file), right? My workflow is to ALWAYS create new ATL file (i.e. ‘House 01a’, next export to ‘House 01b’, next export to ‘House 01c’… etc…). I never delete previous models (as long as I work on the project). I know that sometimes I have zillions similar files, but it let me to use older one (as backup, just in case something bad happens to the newest one). It happened to me a few time, that my PC crashed and the file was lost. Anyway. Can you export anything to Artlantis? What with the older files? If other ArchiCAD files work fine (you can export to Artlantis w/o problems) – maybe you should try to bring your model to them? In sections maybe? I am not an expert; I just work in ArchiCAD everyday so I can give you an advice only based on my experience. It is hard to give an advice ‘remotely’. Is it big file? Can you zip it and share it? Part of it (if it is confidential)? You said that Artlantis Support Center don’t get the same message what you have. Can you install ArchiCAD on any other machine (it is legal with wibu-key) and export it from there? Sorry if my advices are obvious and non-helpful. Regards Bartek

Bartek
Sent : 09/29/2010 14:14:45

Martin, Second thought: if you have a Artlantis file with lots of Artlantis models in it - it takes much longer to merge properties (from 1 sec up to 15 min, depends on how many Artlantis object did you use). But you should be able to merge them anyway. Bartek

Martin
Sent : 09/29/2010 14:17:43

Hi Bartek What do you mean about merge properties. I never merge anything in artlantis.? Martin

Bartek
Sent : 09/29/2010 14:39:09

You can: 1. Bring other project into your file. Example: Let say that you did a model of a building in ArchiCAD, exported it but when you were working in Artlantis, you discovered that you forgot to add a table to kitchen. So you open ArchiCAD once again add this table to the project, than select it and save as separate Artlantis file (only this furniture, but placed on proper x,y,z coordinates). Go back to last Artlantis file and use this ‘Merge geometry from file’ command to bring this element exactly where you need it. I use is to add some stuff. 2. Merge the properties from other file (including material, sun, lamps, cameras, animations, ATL models).So you can export your file to brand new ATL file and import everything from old file using this command. I don’t know if I made myself clear…. Regards Bartek

Martin
Sent : 09/29/2010 16:39:32

I think I know what you mean. I have tried moving my buildings close to 0,0,0, that didn't help. I have tried deleting all objects in my artlantis file. That didn't work. I have tried exporting as 3ds from archicad, and open up in artlantis. It is possible to open in artlantis, but it is not possible to "use reference file" to get the original cameras etc. Is it possible for me to send you my archieve files from artlantis and archicad, maybe it will make sense for you.? I have tried sending it to the support center and they say that nothing is wrong, so maybe there is nothing wrong if you take a look at it.

Martin
Sent : 09/29/2010 17:10:39

Hi Bartek I solved the problem. It was bad window objects, which caused the error. It is also not possible to use danish words in artlantis. It has to be english words. Many thanks for your great help. Know I have a complete guide to problem solution, if it happens to me again.

Bartek
Sent : 09/29/2010 17:17:24

Martin, I am glad to hear that you managed to solve it. Especially with so close deadline. Regards Bartek

Freijomel
Sent : 12/02/2010 18:34:35

Bartozs, How do you export your ArchiCAD 14 files in to Artlantis without a plugin being available? Sorry if there is a simple way to do this but I am new to Artlantis and have been unsuccessful in opening my ArchiCAD files.

Ildikó
Sent : 12/06/2010 11:50:00

This tutorial describes the export from ArchiCAD to Artlantis: http://www.artlantis.com/index.php?page=products/plugins/archicad This is the best way to export from AC to Artlantis, because it allows you to transfer the maximum of data. Don't forget to start the export from the perspective view!

Karl
Sent : 12/13/2010 03:58:21

Posted by Freijomel
Bartozs, How do you export your ArchiCAD 14 files in to Artlantis without a plugin being available? Sorry if there is a simple way to do this but I am new to Artlantis and have been unsuccessful in opening my ArchiCAD files.

Why do you say that there is no plug-in? You must save your model from ArchiCAD from a perspectives view in the 3D window.... Artlantis will be one of the file type options in the Save As dialog.

santi
INCREDIBLE HELP.! CONGRATS
Sent : 10/03/2011 16:25:59

Bartek, Just post this because your help was very good for my problems between archicad and art-lantis. Lots of time saved because of your posts .! Great job, Great !! Congrats .!

santi
Sent : 10/03/2011 18:37:23

I would like to add a comment, that could be useful. You can also add an object, exporting from archicad to artlantis, and then save it as an object in artlantis inside media folder (this folder is inside the artlantis folder in program files. Then you add it as an object and you can move it where you decide. I think is more flexible this way, and you keep it as a new design object. Hope this can help.

Stephanie
Sent : 10/26/2011 20:57:51

Hi, I'm having trouble exporting a ATL 3.0 file from Archicad 15 into the 64 Bit Alpha Version of Artlantis Studio. I am using the new shell tool and am worried this is the problem. If I save as an Archicad 14 pln file, and then open this file in 14 and save as an ATL 3.0 file, the file can then be opened in the 64 bit Alpha version but does not contain the shell objects. Please help!

Ildikó
Sent : 10/28/2011 14:42:21

It's strange, maybe there is a geometry problem? DId you try to open it in Artlantis 3 32-bit? Or, do the same steps from AC 15 to ATL 3, but without the shell object. If it works, the shell object is the problem...

Rajic
Sent : 09/03/2012 17:52:11

I know this is an old post, but for future problems keep this in mind: I had a small project (holiday bungalow) and couldn't export it (same message as you had). The problem was very stupid considering the level of knowledge we all have according to this debate. My archicad (15 edu 64bit) file was named with slovenian letters (čatež) as this is the name of a holiday resort in slovenia. When I renamed it to Catez everything worked like a charm... So in future use english letters only when naming your archicad and artlantis files to avoid this problem. Regards, Aljaz Rajic, student

© ABVENT 2020       |  Contact | Jobs | Abvent Group